CONDITIONS OF ENTRY
1.1 The participant is aware and agrees to the Registration Policy as described on the Event registration form.
1.2 All participants must show picture ID at check-in.
1.3 Where the participant is provided with an electronic timing chip, it should be used in accordance with the instructions. The participant must return the electronic chip at the designated points located near the finish line. If the participant fails to return the electronic chip, the participant will be charged for the replacement cost of said chip.
2. EVENT SAFETY
2.1 At all times during the Event you must adhere to all instructions given by the Event officials.
2.2 Participants are allowed to change names on the original registration. September 30th (one week before the race), will be the last chance for participants to change the name on their original registration for no additional cost. After September 24th – there will be a $20 fee to change the name of the original participant registration
2.3 Participants are not permitted to use the following items in the Event:
• 2.3.1 any wheeled device including strollers, bicycles, inline skates, etc;
• 2.3.2 any artificial aid;
• 2.3.3 any pets or animals; or
• 2.3.4 iPods/MP3 players/headphones: The Event prohibits the use of these devices for the participant’s safety and the safety of those around them. There is no risk of disqualification for simple use, however, if a participant puts themselves or other participants at risk, directly or indirectly through the use of these items, the Event Organizers reserve the right to disqualify the participant
• 2.3.5 any other item that could potentially inhibit the flow or safety of other participants or which the Event officials deem may cause danger or risk of danger to the participant or other participants.
• 2.3.6 anyone or anything that can provide a form of pacing for elite participants.
2.4 The participant warrants to the Event Organizers that on the day of the Event, the participant will be sufficiently fit and healthy to participate in the Event unaided and in accordance with the Conditions of Entry. The participant acknowledges that a marathon event is an extreme test of a person’s physical and mental limits and carries with it the potential for death, serious injury, and property loss. The participant assumes those risks, and agrees to participate in the Event entirely at their own risk. The participant certifies that they are physically fit, have sufficiently trained for participation in this Event, have taken all precautions which are necessary and prudent for safe participation, and have not been advised against participation by a qualified health professional.
2.5The participant acknowledges that they are responsible for the dependability, safety and correct operation of any personal equipment used during the Event.
3. REMOVAL FROM EVENT
3.1 We reserve the right to refuse entry to the Event or to ask you to cease participation if:
• 3.1.1 the participant fails to follow instructions given by Event officials;
• 3.1.2 the participant attempts to participate in the Event in a manner that the Event Organizers and/or Event officials believe:
(a) may cause injury to the participant or another participant;
(b) may damage or harm the environment;
(c) is likely to cause offence; or
(d) otherwise causes a risk or potential risk to health and safety including any failure, in whole or in part, to comply with the restrictions in Condition 2;
• 3.1.3 the participant is unfit to participate in the Event due to:
(a) the consumption or use of alcohol or drugs;
(b) an injury or illness; or
• 3.1.4 the participant fails to arrive at the start location at the specified time; or
• 3.1.5 the participant is unable to make sufficient progress in the Event that will allow them to complete the event in line with timelines set by Event Organizers. The marathon category has a course time limit of 6 hours and 30 minutes. There will be certain cut-off times along the course based on this time at which time the course will re-open to vehicular traffic and participants may be asked to cease their participation in the Event. Participants must maintain a minimum 15-minute per mile pace (approximately) and complete the full marathon distance—start line to finish line—within the event time requirement. There is no Walking division in the marathon category. Those who finish outside of the time limit will not be recorded as official finishers and may not receive full on-course support from Aid Stations and traffic personnel.
3.2 If, in accordance with Condition 3.1, if the participant is refused entry to the Event or is asked to cease participation in the Event, the participant must remove their electronic chip and return it to an Event official.
4. WITHDRAWING FROM THE EVENT
4.1 If in advance of the Event, the participant plans not to participate in the Event for any reason, they should inform the Event Organizers as soon as possible (no refunds are available).
4.2 If the participant decides to withdraw during the Event, the participant should inform an official of the decision immediately and submit their timing chip so the Event Organizers can account for all of the participants.
5. CANCELLATION OF THE EVENT
5.1 The Event may be cancelled if circumstances beyond reasonable control arise, including, without limitation, war, civil or political unrest, terrorism, inclement weather conditions, natural disasters, forest fires, flooding, wildlife interaction or acts of God. In such cases, the Event Organizers reserve the right to cancel or enact other measures deemed necessary. No refunds will be issued in the aforementioned scenarios.
5.2 If the Event was to be canceled due to circumstances within the control of the Event Organizers, for example not receiving the proper permits and permissions from governing bodies, low registration numbers, etc, the participant will receive a full refund less the online processing fee.
5.3 In the event of cancellation, the Event Organizers will have no responsibility for any costs incurred by a participant as a result of cancellation including any travel or accommodation costs.
6. DATA PROTECTION
6.1 For the purposes of this Condition 6, personal information includes medical data collected for health and safety purposes (“Personal Information”).
6.2 The participants agrees that the Personal Information relating to them can be stored, used by the Event Organizers and its partners in connection with the organization, staging and administration of the Event.
6.3 Medical information may also be used to allow medical assistance to be given to the participant.
6.4 The participant agrees that the Personal Information relating to them may be used by the Event Organizers and the Event partners (under anonymity) in connection with the compilation of statistical information.
6.5 The participant agrees that their name, image and contact details can be used by the Event Organizers and Event partners for the purposes of:
• 6.5.1 the promotion and marketing of the Event;
• 6.5.2 adding the participant to a mailing list to keep the participant informed about any future events and services such as leisure activities relating to either similar types of events or activities;
• 6.5.3 promotional and marketing material in respect of similar events, other community based activities organized by the Event Partners, (together the “Marketing Information”).
6.6 If the participant would not like the Event Organizers or Event partners to use the Marketing Information or Personal Information other than for purposes related to you participation in the Event, please e-mail the Event Organizers with this request.
7. CHANGES TO THE EVENT
7.1 The Event Organizers reserve the right to change the course, or make any other amendment to the Event that is deemed necessary to stage the Event. This could include but is not limited to; changing the race route, delaying the race, stopping participants on the course until the situation is deemed appropriate to continue, altering the distance of the route, canceling or other measures deemed necessary by Event Organizers. Any change to the Event will be communicated to the participant at the Event or sooner if possible.
7.2 Should the course be changed no refunds will be issued.
8. USE OF IMAGE
8.1 The Event Organizers will have full permission and licence to any and all photographs, motion pictures, videotapes, recordings or any other record of the participant in this Event for any purpose including commercial use, for no cost or charge. The participant’s email address and contact information will be shared with the Official Event Photographer.
9.1 In no circumstance shall the Event Organizers be liable to the participant, whether for breach of contract, any tortious act or omission (including negligence) or otherwise, under or in connection with the Agreement for any:
• 9.1.1 loss or damage;
• 9.1.2 loss of profit;
• 9.1.3 loss of reputation;
• 9.1.4 loss of business, revenue or goodwill;
• 9.1.5 loss of anticipated savings;
• 9.1.6 pledges made on the participant’s behalf or by the participant to a charity; or
• 9.1.7 consequential or indirect loss, regardless of whether the loss or damage:(a) would arise in the ordinary course of events;(b) is reasonably foreseeable; or(c) is in the contemplation of the parties, or otherwise.
10.1 If there is a conflict or inconsistency between any provision contained in the body of the “RELEASE WAIVER, INDEMNITY AND CONDITIONS OF ENTRY” and any provision contained on the Event website or other locations, except where provided to the contrary in the latter, the “RELEASE WAIVER, INDEMNITY AND CONDITIONS OF ENTRY” will prevail to the extent of the conflict or inconsistency.
10.2 The Agreement shall be governed by British Columbia law, and the parties submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the British Columbia courts.
10.3 If any provision of the Agreement is invalid or unenforceable, in whole or in part, the validity of the remainder shall not be affected.
10.4 The Agreement does not create, confer or purport to confer any benefit or right enforceable by any person not party to it.
I acknowledge that the various race sponsors, organizers and administrators, permitting me to participate in this Event, accept my statements on this release waiver and conditions of entry.
I hereby affirm that I am eighteen (18) years of age or older. If I am younger than eighteen (18) years of age, a parent or guardian must enter their name in the box below signifying their permission for me to enter this Event.